Mekus Tanager, Inc.
Ms. Mekus serves as Interior Design Principal on many of the firm’s interior architecture projects ranging in size up to 500,000 square feet. With over 35 years of experience, she has been involved in programming, planning, design, and coordination of all phases of an interior design project. Ms. Mekus is a frequent contributor to design journals and lecturer on The Influence of Design on business and on work trends affecting the design of interior spaces. She was highlighted in a Rizzolli book titled Women of Design as one of the 31 most prominent female interior designers in the nation.
Ms. Mekus’ professional affiliates include the International Interior Design Association, the American Society of Interior Designers, the Economic Club of Chicago, the Arts Club of Chicago and The Chicago Network. She has also served as President of the Illinois Interior Design Coalition during which she worked to attain title registration of the interior design profession and to develop awareness of the field’s effects on public health, safety and welfare.
Bachelor of Science, Interior Design, University of Cincinnati College of Architecture & Planning, 1972 Continuing Education at Harvard University 1981, PSMJ
- Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, Lighting Award, Budget Rent-a-car • Sears Tower Design Invitational: (law firm design), 1st Place ABA Law Journal, 1st Place Award, Cohen Wulfstat Semer Leff & Rosenberg • Administrative Management Magazine, Coopers & Lybrand ‘Office of the Year’
- ASID Designer of the Year, AT&T Broadband Regional Office • Motorola Design Competition – mobilezone. Chicago
- Facilities Design & Management, November 1998 (Tribune Company), The New Office, 1996 (Ernst & Young LLP, Baker & McKenzie) Contract Design, July 1996 (Personal Profile, E. Spes Mekus) • Interiors, 1996 (Ernst & Young LLP, Baker & McKenzie, Apple Computer)
- Color, Environment & Human Response, 1996 (Marshall, O’Toole, Gerstein, Murray & Borun)
- World Book Encyclopedia, ‘Interior Design’ Entry, 1996 (Ernst & Young LLP)
- Women of Design by Beverly Russell
- Corporate Interiors Annual Publications
Vol. 1 – Coopers & Lybrand Regional Offices
Vol. 2 – Sanford C. Bernstein & Co; Amett Technology SMG Marketing & Group Offices
Vol. 8 – Motorola HQ & mobilezone. Chicago
- The Influence of Design – Enhancing Your Life
- The Influence of Design – Using the Design Process and Right Image to Build a Dynamic Organization